Mandated Reporting of Child Abuse/Neglect

Act 60 (S.9), which came into effect July 1, 2015, made some changes to mandated reporting procedures, child abuse definitions, and information sharing. These changes are reflected below.

If you work in one of the professions listed below, you are a mandated reporter. This means that once you suspect a child may have been abused or neglected, you are required by law to report your suspicions to Family Services—within 24 hours.

A mandated reporter is any:

  • Health care provider, including any chiropractor, dentist, emergency medical personnel, hospital administrator, intern, licensed practical nurse, medical examiner, osteopath, pharmacist, physician, physician assistant, psychologist, registered nurse, resident physician, and surgeon
  • Individual who is a) employed by a school district or an approved or recognized independent school or b) contracted and paid by a school district or an approved or recognized independent school to provide student services, including any school superintendent, school principal, headmaster of an approved or recognized independent school, school teacher, student teacher, school librarian, and school guidance counselor
  • Agency of Human Services employee, contractor, or grantee who has contact with clients
  • Camp administrator, counselor, and owner, including any residential and nonresidential camp and recreational program
  • Childcare worker
  • Clergy member
  • Mental health professional
  • Police officer
  • Probation officer
  • Social worker

How do I make a report?
Call 1-800-649-5285 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week). 

If a child is in immediate danger, dial 911 or your local police first. Then, call FSD to make a report. Calling law enforcement is not the same as reporting to FSD. You must notify FSD directly.
What if I am not sure?

Please call us for advice, if you:

Are not sure a report is warranted; or
Are considering telling the parents about your report. In some cases, this could endanger the child and hinder the response.

You need only have a reasonable suspicion that abuse or neglect happened to make a report. If in doubt, report!

The above text is from the website of Vermont's Agency of Human Services Department for Children and Families. Click here to learn more at their website